OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Figure 8s in Australia

8 visible archived posts ยท 8 preserved total ยท topic ID 5950
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
Paul Davies 18 Aug 2015
#1
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
ronspitz 18 Aug 2015
#2
Two interesting cuffs. I like the "Lilly" style. It looks much shorter in length and more compact. Thanks for the post.

Ron
lauher 18 Aug 2015
#3
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Paul
Two nice cuffs. Cuffs like the first one are known, but rare. I have seen two Hiatts and an Parker, but not a Nichols.

The second cuff is very interesting indeed. Do you think it is older or newer than a Lily iron?

Joe
Paul 19 Aug 2015
#4
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Re: Nichols 8. I didn't think anyone had a Nichols in their collection. Which is why I tried so hard to get a pic of the stamping. Although it is hard to read, it is curved like Nichols stampings and seems to say J. Nichols.

The "Lilly" style one is unusual. The pitting is quite pronounced. What came first, the chicken or the egg? It looks contemporary to the Lilly.

Anything used in either the US or UK navy would have been around the world a few times I guess. US whalers were in Australia from the early days, so were the English in their Australian territories. What I cannot say is when it arrived in Australia because it has passed through a few hands.

Paul Davies
Michael Griffin 19 Aug 2015
#5
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Hi
For what its worth about the short lilly....when i started collecting handcuffs I was told that there was a fig8 lilly made. I have never seen one, unless maybe this is itl
holstcollection 19 Aug 2015
#6
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Hi

I have a very similar Figure of 8 cuff, unfortunately without any visible markings. Paul, where on the cuff
is the stamping located?

The key on my cuff is right hand thread. I believe there are a few of them out there but they are still rare.

Lars

?t=1439921355
Anonymous 19 Aug 2015
#7
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Lars, the thread is right hand and we found a handcuff key that would screw on but it was frozen shut. I do not recall which end or side the stamp was on, but obviously it was an outward facing side.
Paul
holstcollection 20 Aug 2015
#8
On a recent visit to a fellow collector of convict items I was shown these 2 cuffs which I have never seen close up before. The one which would take a screw key appears to be stamped J. Nichols. A similar one is on display at the Hobart Museum in Tasmania (maker unknown). That is the pic showing it hanging on display.

The other is similar to a Lilly Iron but with a bolt that has to two familiar holes you'd find in Plug cuff.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Paul
Click to expand...
Thanks for the information Paul.

Lars