holstcollection 16 Jan 2016
#3
A little history about Kakola Prison in Turku, Finland.
The prison construction began in 1840 and was finalized in 1853. The granite quarry on which it sits was the source of the building materials.
It was closed in 2007 when a new prison was built in the city.
The last tour was granted in 2011.
I invite Lars to post some pics of his Kakola handcuffs which were used and possibly made at this facility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVsyXbbcus
Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Sure, I'm happy to add some photos. First, the "Kakola" handcuffs are all "one off" cuffs which mean not one specimen
is exactly like the other and that's because they are all hand made. It's said these restraints were manufactured in the Kakola prison workshop but I doubt as they are much too good in quality to have been manufactured in a prison.
The Kakola handcuffs are among my favorites as they have a strong "personality" and each one of them is a mechanical piece of art.
Therefore,you can't get a real duplicate as they all differ in size and in details. A very few of them are stamped "Kakola".
According to my opinion, the stamping add some kind a significance to them. I have posted some photos of different Kakola
versions and details and I hope you enjoy them.
Lars
The first version with a "tri-key" pattern. Ratchets on the side of the bow.
Same version but a different shape and weight. Compare the "turrets". This one is conical and the
other is straight.
None of these are stamped
Milled ratchets on the top of the bows.
Normal size and large size versions. Notice the different shape to the lock houses.
The large version is stamped.
A Kakola selection.
www.holstcollection.com