OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

I spied with my little eye, something beginning with "M" ;)

19 visible archived posts · 19 preserved total · topic ID 6075
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Atame 30 Mar 2016
#1
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
holstcollection 30 Mar 2016
#2




Congratulations Guenter!!

Very good! Now, please let us see the entire set.
Maybe it's a version that non of us have seen before.

Best wishes,

Lars







Atame 30 Mar 2016
#3
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Thank you, Lars!

I intended to intensify the suspense slowly .

But well, here they are. MĂĽhlenfeld Leg irons. Unfortunately I do not know the model number.








Best regards,
Guenter
Mark lyons 30 Mar 2016
#4
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Congratulations,

You Most Merrily Mustered a Magnificent Manacle.
You Marvelously Managed to Make a Muhelfeld Materialize.
A Momentous Milestone has been Made.

Merriment to your Magnum Opus!



Mark
O--O
Atame 30 Mar 2016
#5
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Thank you, Mark!

These are really a lot of Ms!

How about some Bs to also pay regards to "Barmen"?

Best regards,
Guenter
Mark lyons 30 Mar 2016
#6
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Ok

I will give some thought to that.
I promise not to combine the "B&M"s together as that could be a stinky mess.

mark
O--O

P.S. I believe that just like the Stotz leg irons, we are the only collectors with Muhlenfeld Leg Irons
Atame 30 Mar 2016
#7
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Mark, that’s not fully correct. Lars has this very nice Mühlenfeld combination – so by using a little steel-saw he can easily become “in unserem Bunde der Dritte” (the third in your band), to say it with Schiller’s words .

Best regards,
Guenter
Mark Lyons 30 Mar 2016
#8
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Guenter,

I am aware of the combination cuff and leg irons that Lars has.
I think it is the most important piece in his collection, by far.
It is a very wonderful piece.

Unfortunately, he is not a member of our club yet. He has the ability to join but he knows that to become a member, he must first break out the bolt cutters.

I trust that he will do so soon.


mark
O-----O
Michael Busch 30 Mar 2016
#9
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hi Guenter,

this is a fantastic item, my congratulations! Where did you find the irons? In an antique store or on a flea-market? Great to see items like that still coming to the Surface!

Best wishes

Michael
Atame 30 Mar 2016
#10
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Thank you, Michael!

I did not even have to leave my couch to get these goodies. I got an offer by e-mail to buy this piece and a Horst Moabit. And I got both for a nice price. No present, but I surely did not pay too much.

Best regards,
Guenter
Mark Lyons 31 Mar 2016
#11
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hi,


I did mean to ask you that question too.
It is nice that your seller knew of you and contacted you for the sale.
Perhaps they had previous dealings with you or saw that you have the online shop and figured that this was something you would be interested in.
Did they give you any history of the items?
Did you win the cuffs while on my couch?

mark
O--O
Atame 31 Mar 2016
#12
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hello Mark,

the couch was rather symbolic . In fact I bought them from my chair! The seller, whom I did not know before, was an older gentleman from northern Germany – you don’t find Mühlenfeld here in the beautiful south.

The seller is into collecting militaria, so the handcuffs were only a kind of by-catch for him. Unfortunately he had no further information about the restraints. I guess my luck was that he did not speak English and/or was not willing to sell international.

Best regards,
Guenter
Mark lyons 31 Mar 2016
#13
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Guenter,

I am pleased that you were able to acquire these items which really enhances your already very nice collection.
and
I am equally pleased that I can visualize your chair.

Looking forward to learning about your next treasure, whether it comes in the mail or you need a shovel to dig it out.

mark
O--O
holstcollection 06 Apr 2016
#14
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hello Guenter,

Again, congratulations to you great finding! These leg irons are at least say rare. According to the MĂĽhlenfeld catalogue, your set is Model 116.

From the very first time I examined your photos I saw something differed from my sets but I just couldn't put my finger on it.
Then I suddenly saw it – the key posts! Yours are considerably smaller.

I have three MĂĽhlenfeld chain cuffs in my collection; the "Model 115", the chain handcuffs. The "Model 310", the combination of handcuffs and leg irons and finally a long chain set of handcuffs which model number can't be found in the catalogue. They are unknown. They might have come from a MĂĽhlenfeld restraint belt. The MĂĽhlenfeld restraint belt is the rarest piece and I have never seen a set in a private collection or for sale.

?t=1459858063
?t=1459858392
Two photos of Marinus van der Lubbe wearing a set of the restraint belt in his trial in 1933. In January 1934 he was executed.
Google him, it's a very sad story.


?t=1459858244
Another photo from a museum.



The "115" and the "320" both have the same size to the key post; around 4 mm. The "long chain handcuffs", which have a much smaller key post, are only 2,20 mm in diameter.
The keys for the "115" and the "320" are all interchangeable. The "long chain handcuffs" accordingly takes a much smaller key.

There is another detail that differ. The top of my "115" cuffs, the "long chain handcuffs" and one of the handcuffs in the "320" combination are all stamped with the number "13". I don’t know for what reason but they certainly look factory stamped. In addition, all of them came from completely different sources.

Please let me know the diameter of the key post on your leg irons. I also can't see any stampings on the top of the locks on your cuffs. Correct?

Guenter, your cuffs are stamped “Mühlenfeld Barmen” and so are Michael's handcuffs. None of my handcuffs or leg irons are stamped with the maker's name.

The MĂĽhlenfeld restraints are very interesting and I have attached a few photos below to show the differences.

Best wishes,

Lars

www.holstcollection.com

?t=1459857450

Number 115, chain handcuffs

?t=1459857135

Long chain handcuffs, unknown model.

?t=1459857221

Comparison of key posts and key holes.


?t=1459857046

The Model 310, combination of handcuffs and leg irons.


?t=1459857112

Comparison of handcuffs and leg irons in size.











Atame 06 Apr 2016
#15
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hello Lars,

thank you very much for the information and pictures.

My leg irons have an inner diameter of 6.7 cm – I measured both sides twice!

No additional stampings on my piece, only “MÜHLENFELD BARMEN”.

How many locking positions do your leg irons have?

Best regards,
Guenter
Chris Gower 07 Apr 2016
#16
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Well done Gunter for finding such a rare item, goes to show there are still many goodies to find. Excellent photos Lars.
holstcollection 08 Apr 2016
#17
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Hello Guenter,

There are six lock positions on my leg irons and five on the handcuffs. It's an interesting difference in the inner diameter of the leg irons.

The MĂĽhlenfeld stampings add to the significance. Again, a very nice finding!


Thanks for the nice words about the photos Chris!



Have a nice weekend,

Lars


Mark Lyons 08 Apr 2016
#18
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
The Berliner Belt with the red background above is in which museum?

There was either this belt or one just like it sold at the Butterfield auction.
I think it is on page 54 in the catalogue.
I believe it was displayed at the Houdini Museum in Vegas...The Venetian?

I compared the photos and there seems to be slight differences.


Mark
O--O
holstcollection 09 Apr 2016
#19
Hello fellow collectors,

I managed to add a new name to my collection. A name I almost started to believe that it is completely reserved for Michael and Lars!



Best regards,
Guenter
Mark,

I'm not sure from what museum the photo is taken as I had the photo for many years and I forgot from whom I got it.
It's a German museum anyway, that's for sure.

I've never heard of the auction you mentioned and I don't know of a set in a private collection.
A MĂĽhlenfeld restraint belt would be great to add but I don't think that will ever happen.

Lars