OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Markings on a Plug 8

6 visible archived posts · 6 preserved total · topic ID 6149
Original topic ↗Recovered images
ronspitz 04 Jul 2016
#1
I have a Plug 8 that I think is an early Froggatt. The mark is near the hinge and not readable. The interesting marks are on the flat surface where the locking bolt is fastened. They look newer than the rest of the cuff and may have been used later than when the cuff was made. The marks are a 10 on top, with a Me in the middle and what looks like TNF on the bottom. There is no sign of a Broad Arrow.

When I got the cuff the locking bolt in the tube was missing. Bob Dix did a great job of restoring the lock and made a plug and key.

Any thoughts on what the marking mean would be appreciated.

Ron





lauher 04 Jul 2016
#2
Hi Ron

I have lots of plug8s, but have never seen a marking quite like the one you have. I do agree with your thought that it was added after the cuff was made. Most likely a users mark.

nice item.
Joe
ronspitz 04 Jul 2016
#3
I have a Plug 8 that I think is an early Froggatt. The mark is near the hinge and not readable. The interesting marks are on the flat surface where the locking bolt is fastened. They look newer than the rest of the cuff and may have been used later than when the cuff was made. The marks are a 10 on top, with a Me in the middle and what looks like TNF on the bottom. There is no sign of a Broad Arrow.

When I got the cuff the locking bolt in the tube was missing. Bob Dix did a great job of restoring the lock and made a plug and key.

Any thoughts on what the marking mean would be appreciated.

Ron





Click to expand...
Thanks Joe. One other point, the TNF could be INF. Can the cuff be dated or identified by the thread cut? It looks hand cut, or were most of the early threads hand cut?

Ron
lauher 04 Jul 2016
#4
I have a Plug 8 that I think is an early Froggatt. The mark is near the hinge and not readable. The interesting marks are on the flat surface where the locking bolt is fastened. They look newer than the rest of the cuff and may have been used later than when the cuff was made. The marks are a 10 on top, with a Me in the middle and what looks like TNF on the bottom. There is no sign of a Broad Arrow.

When I got the cuff the locking bolt in the tube was missing. Bob Dix did a great job of restoring the lock and made a plug and key.

Any thoughts on what the marking mean would be appreciated.

Ron





Click to expand...
Ron
I think most all of the plug 8 were hand made.
The threads do vary quite a bit. Keys are not interchangeable in general.
Joe
Paul Davies 06 Jul 2016
#5
I have a Plug 8 that I think is an early Froggatt. The mark is near the hinge and not readable. The interesting marks are on the flat surface where the locking bolt is fastened. They look newer than the rest of the cuff and may have been used later than when the cuff was made. The marks are a 10 on top, with a Me in the middle and what looks like TNF on the bottom. There is no sign of a Broad Arrow.

When I got the cuff the locking bolt in the tube was missing. Bob Dix did a great job of restoring the lock and made a plug and key.

Any thoughts on what the marking mean would be appreciated.

Ron





Click to expand...
Could the third letter be an R.
ie: Inverness and Nairn Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _companies
Just a thought.
Paul
ronspitz 06 Jul 2016
#6
I have a Plug 8 that I think is an early Froggatt. The mark is near the hinge and not readable. The interesting marks are on the flat surface where the locking bolt is fastened. They look newer than the rest of the cuff and may have been used later than when the cuff was made. The marks are a 10 on top, with a Me in the middle and what looks like TNF on the bottom. There is no sign of a Broad Arrow.

When I got the cuff the locking bolt in the tube was missing. Bob Dix did a great job of restoring the lock and made a plug and key.

Any thoughts on what the marking mean would be appreciated.

Ron





Click to expand...
Good thought Paul, I wish it was. The horizontal lines of the F are straight and there is no sign of a sloping line to form the bottom of the R.

Ron