OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

J H Lilly Bar Cuffs

5 visible archived posts · 5 preserved total · topic ID 6229
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Mark Lyons 11 Oct 2016
#1


I was wondering if the 2 Lilly's shown below are the only size variations known.
To those that have this rare cuff, I would like to know if you have any different sized examples or variations.
I had the pleasure of handling a Cuff King breaker from the Houdini auction. The square bolt was modified by grinding it down and 2 spanner wrench holes drilled into it. Even though it was not a manufactured variation, it seems to be the only "different" Lilly that I have ever seen.

I am not going to call it a variation but the end or tip of the top bar seems to be cut straight across on some examples and some have the bevel on the lateral edge. I believe this is just a feature that the worker added if he was so inclined to do.

The small one is 12 1/2 inches long.
I will measure the longer one and post the dimensions later.

I may be upgrading the shorter one in the collection with one which has most of its plating intact and what I believe is an original key.

If this happens, I will be offering the small one for sale or trade. It does not have a key, however. It is mechanically perfect with no damage or repairs.


holstcollection 11 Oct 2016
#2


Hi Mark,

My set is like your smaller Lilly; 12 3/64.

Lars







michael griffin 11 Oct 2016
#3

I was wondering if the 2 Lilly's shown below are the only size variations known.
To those that have this rare cuff, I would like to know if you have any different sized examples or variations.
I had the pleasure of handling a Cuff King breaker from the Houdini auction. The square bolt was modified by grinding it down and 2 spanner wrench holes drilled into it. Even though it was not a manufactured variation, it seems to be the only "different" Lilly that I have ever seen.

I am not going to call it a variation but the end or tip of the top bar seems to be cut straight across on some examples and some have the bevel on the lateral edge. I believe this is just a feature that the worker added if he was so inclined to do.

The small one is 12 1/2 inches long.
I will measure the longer one and post the dimensions later.

I may be upgrading the shorter one in the collection with one which has most of its plating intact and what I believe is an original key.

If this happens, I will be offering the small one for sale or trade. It does not have a key, however. It is mechanically perfect with no damage or repairs.


Click to expand...
Hi guys. I have no verification on this, however years ago I was told that Lilly made a fig 8 cuff ie: no bar between the cuffs. It was told to me by two people who are knowledgable one i felt more so than the other. The other one was always cagey when I would ask him about a certain cuff that he may or may not have been the manufacturer of..Maybe he liked the quasi hitchcock known but unknown kinda thing,,i found it to be a pain in the ass. but oh well, I do think there might have been fig 8 Lillys
Oly83 15 Oct 2016
#4

I was wondering if the 2 Lilly's shown below are the only size variations known.
To those that have this rare cuff, I would like to know if you have any different sized examples or variations.
I had the pleasure of handling a Cuff King breaker from the Houdini auction. The square bolt was modified by grinding it down and 2 spanner wrench holes drilled into it. Even though it was not a manufactured variation, it seems to be the only "different" Lilly that I have ever seen.

I am not going to call it a variation but the end or tip of the top bar seems to be cut straight across on some examples and some have the bevel on the lateral edge. I believe this is just a feature that the worker added if he was so inclined to do.

The small one is 12 1/2 inches long.
I will measure the longer one and post the dimensions later.

I may be upgrading the shorter one in the collection with one which has most of its plating intact and what I believe is an original key.

If this happens, I will be offering the small one for sale or trade. It does not have a key, however. It is mechanically perfect with no damage or repairs.


Click to expand...
Mark, I once had 3 Lilly bar cuffs that we're all 3 different lengths. The one that I "think" was unlike other examples I had seen now belongs to Joe Fox, you may hit him up and let us know if it stands out.
Joseph Fox 16 Oct 2016
#5

I was wondering if the 2 Lilly's shown below are the only size variations known.
To those that have this rare cuff, I would like to know if you have any different sized examples or variations.
I had the pleasure of handling a Cuff King breaker from the Houdini auction. The square bolt was modified by grinding it down and 2 spanner wrench holes drilled into it. Even though it was not a manufactured variation, it seems to be the only "different" Lilly that I have ever seen.

I am not going to call it a variation but the end or tip of the top bar seems to be cut straight across on some examples and some have the bevel on the lateral edge. I believe this is just a feature that the worker added if he was so inclined to do.

The small one is 12 1/2 inches long.
I will measure the longer one and post the dimensions later.

I may be upgrading the shorter one in the collection with one which has most of its plating intact and what I believe is an original key.

If this happens, I will be offering the small one for sale or trade. It does not have a key, however. It is mechanically perfect with no damage or repairs.


Click to expand...
Mark:

I Lilly that I bought from Joshua measures:

13 1/4" in length - from "hinge pin" to "hinge pin" (12 1/4" from "wrist opening" to "wrist opening")


What is considered the most common length of Lillies?