OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

British Darbies

4 visible archived posts · 4 preserved total · topic ID 6691
Original topic ↗Recovered images
ronspitz 13 Jan 2019
#1
I managed to obtain three Darbies for my collection.  Hopefully they will be of interest.  

The first one has the following markings Warranted, Wrought, Hard #439 and 284 (which matches the key), and a "v" which could be a workers mark on the end caps.  Also the letters W P C.  The workers marks were used by Hiatt at one time.  



The second is a backstrap with 20 stamped on them.  They have user marks engraved (probably by the maker Hiatt?) "Main Bridewell and Liverpool". This jail opened in 1867 and closed in 1999.  The seller dated these to 1870.  A good history of the jail can be found at:  
http://liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/main-b ... 4552047916

+2
The third pair are backstraps marked Parker Holborn and Police.  The backstrap is marked 443 and the key 441.  I believe that Parker located in Holborn existed from 1794 to 1841.  


Any additional information on makers and dates would be appreciated.  Hope this added some information to the community.

Ron
Paul 13 Jan 2019
#2
Very, very nice cuffs Ron. Do you think the letters could be WRC for West Riding Constabulary?, Yorkshire.
The heavy Backstrap one could be from approx 60 year time range. The earliest I have is dated 1860, but I also have 4 dated to World War 1.
The Parker Police cuff can be dated from 1830s when the police force was first established in London
Paul Davies
lauher 14 Jan 2019
#3
Ron
You do have a nice group of Darbies.   I really like the cuffs with full engraved script like your "Main Bridewell and Liverpool" example.

It is my thought that the early Parker cuffs like your were made by Nichols. For one thing they share the loop or wire key style.
Joe
ronspitz 14 Jan 2019
#4
Thanks guys.  I guess the Parker cuff will be another mystery.  The seller, in Lincolnshire, had this info: "The company 'Parker of Holborn' made police equipment from the late 1700's until around 1900.  He also dated them circa 1840.  Also I remember reading that the Police markings were used by Parker prior to any other company taking over the manufacture of cuffs for Parker.  

I looked very closely to the WPC markings with the same thought.  With a good magnifying glass it could be an R and most likely is.  I have another WRC in my collection but it is much later, plated and marked British Made.  It is also much smaller in size.  The WRC would then be made by Hiatt.

Ron