OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

New Transport Designs

6 visible archived posts · 6 preserved total · topic ID 6789
Original topic ↗Recovered images
djhalfdead 29 Jul 2019
#1
I was asked to share this with the group. This really doesnt go with collecting, as these are not factory made pieces. Rather, they are improvements and a whole new design concept to increase security with transport restraints. I got my ideas while looking at some of Steve Santini's old designs. Loved the work he did with his company, years ago. Would love to get my hands on one of his Titan Cuffs, but...thats a hunt that still continues. Anyway, back to the subject. I approached my friend, Steve Chace, with a few ideas i had. There was not a "blue box" design that would work for hinged cuffs. I wanted to come up with something that would work to make the cuffs rigid, but to also keep the key holes covered when it was locked in place. I had though of using steel plates to cover front and rear. But, they proved problematic, as they could be turned and expose the locks on some cuffs. Steve and I worked on a idea for a set of discs that would cover the front and rear of the cuffs. My first idea was to make the center post smooth, so you could slide the top disc in place and secure with a padlock. Steve constructed the first one. It worked...but it allowed for some minor flexing of the hinges. It made the cuffs, semi-rigid. Steve took the design one step further and made a threaded center post. You could still slide the top disc over the threads, but now you could also run a nut and crank down the top plate to make a truly rigid cuff. Drill a hole in the shaft, and add a padlock to lock everything into place. Once the padlock is placed behind the discs, away from your hands, picking the lock would be no easy feat! If it can be done at all. Palms out, adds to the difficulty and security of the cuffs.

The second design was to improve the blue box that had been on the market for years. I took my idea to Steve. I asked him to machine a swivel that was beefy and could attach to a short chain that would attach to a pair of leg irons. He made one. I liked it, but it was limited with the leg irons, being attached to the chain. I wanted something you could adapt to use with almost any leg iron, you would run across in an American Jail. Mainly Smith and Wesson and Peerless. So, on the second one, I had him put a large ring on the end of the chain, that you could slide the leg irons through. It worked really well! Along with this design, i wanted to make a stand alone locking tab that you could place a padlock through, but was "T" shaped and couldnt be pulled through the slot in the blue box. Again, Steve nailed it! Place the padlock behind the box, wrists out, and its a challenge to even get to the key holes to pick them. With the chain attached to the leg irons, you cant lift the box up to your teeth to try working a key or a pick. And of course, the key holes on the cuffs are covered by the box. The idea was brought up about trying to dislodge the double lock by rapping the box against something solid. The solution we came up with, only works for smith and wesson and cuffs that have a similar double lock slot. Its an short "L" shaped tab that slides into the double lock slot. Its made of stainless steel and doesnt allow the double lock bar to slide back to the single lock space! So, there is no way to undo the double lock, once everything is applied. This eliminates shimming the cuffs. Steve also made some longer double lock tabs that have a small hole drilled to put a padlock through. Same idea, but can be used without the blue box. I call it a "triple lock."

It was really cool to see the ideas come to fruition and have a working model in my hands. Huge thank you to my partner, Steve Chace! He always does an amazing job, doing the milling and work to make these ideas, realities! Just thought I would share these creations with all of you.
-Richard Knip-
+5
Unknown / guest 29 Jul 2019
#2
Here is a pic of the blue box open, with the "triple lock" tabs, in place. The lid on the box still closes and works like normal. With these in place, the double lock cannot be unlocked or dislodged by smacking the cuffs against a solid object. Just one more step of added security.
-Richard Knip-
Mo's Restraints Museum 29 Jul 2019
#3
Those plate on the peerless handcuff look nice. How much you sell it?

Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk

djhalfdead 29 Jul 2019
#4
Thank you. I havent decided if I want to sell any of these, yet, or not? If they do go up for sale, they would be listed on Ebay and go to highest bidder. I suppose, you can shoot me an offer, if you are interested in them. They wouldnt come with the 801 peerless cuffs. Those are cuffs in my collection. It would come with a nice Model 301 Peerless Hinged cuff. This design works for both models. The discs are made of steel.
-Richard Knip-
steve 02 Aug 2019
#5
I invented the first rigid cover for hinged handcuffs over 20 years ago. My design was purchased by the Hiatt Thompson Corporation and they put my design into production. Today it is used worldwide to transport inmates. From what I can see here, you have merely taken all of my original high security designs including the triple lock idea for the S&W and reintroduced them as if they were your own.
Steve Santini
djhalfdead 02 Aug 2019
#6
I have one of Hiatts boxes for hinged cuffs. Mine, isnt like yours. I never saw a design for hinged cuffs of yours, that used 2 discs to bolt together to block the holes? And your triple lock for the cuffs, had a hole drilled for a padlock to pass through. At least the design that i saw, did. Ours uses stainless steel tabs that go through the stock double lock slot. While it does the same thing, ours doesnt require a modified cuff to achieve that. Yes, both concepts started with your designs, but went a different direction, in the end. But, they achieve a similar end result. These are the two concepts of yours i used to develop mine. If there is another version, that you did and i did not see, i apologize. Mine are not being mass produced and sold world wide. Mine never will be.
-Richard Knip-